A key safety feature of tempered glass is the way in which it shatters into many small pieces when it breaks, which occurs to prevent the likelihood of injury from the breakage. This shattering effect can happen immediately after a strong enough impact or, alternatively, can occur much later in what is called delayed breakage.
Canopy owners who report this type of breakage may feel their window was defective, but in fact this ‘spontaneous’ shattering was a delayed breakage from an earlier impact. Events that can lead to a delayed breakage include:
- Impact due to items stored inside the canopy.
- Surface damage caused by stone chips i.e. when towing a caravan, stones coming from the back wheels of the vehicle bounce off the caravan and hit the rear glass.
- Driving with the door or lift window open causing excessive vibration or the glass hitting against a roof load.
- Damage caused by an object hitting or scraping against the glass.
The trigger for delayed breakage could be stresses caused by:
- A change in ambient temperature i.e. hot to cold or cold to hot.
- Loose mounting clamps causing excessive vibration/movement of the canopy allowing is to move forward, exerting excessive pressure on the rear door.
- Driving over speed bumps or potholes.
To assist you with reducing the risk of glass breakages, we recommend the following checks be performed regularly:
- All screws and fasteners holding windows, doors & locks are tight.
- Lubricate window hinges and lock mechanisms with good quality grease.
- Inspecting the glass to identify any chips or scratches.
- Clean gas struts with a damp cloth.
- Clean your canopy with a clean sponge or soft cloth and car wash detergent.
- Never use harsh or abrasive cleaning tools.
By using the above tips and doing your best to avoid impact situations that may result in immediate or delayed breakage, your canopy’s tempered glass windows will have a long life while retaining their strength and functionality.
If you experience a canopy glass breakage, please get in touch with our customer care team on 1300 237 655 to discuss your repair or replacement options.
Aeroklas Quality Team